for December, 2011
New Face in the Office: Kathy TranDec 29 2011
The more observant amongst you may have noticed a new face around the office, and indeed you are right. We are delighted to welcome Kathy Tran to our office team.
Kathy is in the Aviation program at at San Jose State University, studying Aviation Operations . She is also a keen student pilot, getting close to achieving her Private Pilot License, and she aims to get her A&P mechanic license after she graduates.
Initially she will be working on Fridays and covering other days as needed.
Holiday Quiz 2011 – ResultsDec 28 2011
AeroDynamic Aviation Holiday Quiz 2011 Answers
- Match up the restaurant with the airport
1. Columbia Jack Douglass Saloon
2. Half Moon Bay Barbara’s Fishtrap
3. Lee Vining Whoa Nellie Deli
4. Livermore Beeb’s Sportsbar & Grill
5. Redding Peter Chu’s Skyroom
6. Monterey Peninsula Golden Tee
7. Palo Alto Ming’s
8. Salinas The Landing Zone
9. Sonoma County Sky Lounge
10. Watts Woodland Yolo Fliers Club
- Where, other than Frazier Lake, can you land on a grass runway?
- Which airport is named after the creator of the Peanuts cartoons?
Charles M. Schultz, Sonoma County
- The use of alcohol and drugs by pilots is regulated by CFR 91.17. Among other provisions, this regulation states that no person may operate or attempt to operate an aircraft with a blood alcohol content of _0.04_% or greater.
- Match up the airport hazards
1. Oceano Be alert for kites flown along beach 1/2 mile west of ry
2. Klamath Glen Mountain flying experience recommended
3. Shelter Cove Expect Crosswinds, downdrafts and extdd periods of fog
4. Catalina Pilots cannot see acft on opposite ends of rwy
5. Gravelly Valley No Lndg on ry 19 due to hill NE of arpt
6. Lake Tahoe Arpt surrounded on E; S & W by rapidly rising terrain
- Where can you fly in to enjoy a Shakespeare play under the stars?
- You’re giving Santa a lift in Citabria N53893 (Empty weight including unusable fuel and oil is 1115.0 lbs, Moment=12042 inch-lbs). His weight is 260 lbs. Assuming you are a standard FAA weight of 170 lbs, how much fuel can you carry (to the nearest gallon)?
- For which girl will you have to fly not just cross-country, but across the continent?
Marianna Airport, FL (All others in California, except Jean, NV)
- You’re on final, inbound for landing, when Tower tells you to Go around. What do they want you to do?
Climb back up and continue round the pattern
- Which of these airports qualify as Cross Country destinations from Reid Hillview?
Harris Ranch, Kingdon, Napa, Oceano (over 50 miles away)
- Where can you land on a dry lakebed?
- Which is the odd one out?
Weed (yep, it’s not a tree!)
- You’re enjoying a holiday party, but you have an early flight at 7:30am tomorrow morning. When must you stop drinking any more alcohol?
11:30pm (8 hours bottle to throttle)
- Where can you fly in to visit the fictional town of Cabot Cove, Maine as shown in the TV series Murder She Wrote?
Little River for Mendocino
- Which airport is named after a well-known comedian?
Bob Hope, Burbank
- In which type of aircraft is a three point landing a BAD thing?
- Where can you fly in for a Hot Springs experience where clothing is optional in the pools?
Sierraville Dearwater for Sierra Hot Springs
- Can you identify this lighthouse?
- Which of these airports qualify as Cross Country destinations from Salinas?
Half Moon Bay, Harris Ranch, Kingdon, Napa, Oceano, Stockton (over 50 miles away)
- Place these airports in order of pattern altitude – from lowest to highest
Calipatria 618’ MSL
Hayward Executive 652’
Furnace Creek 790’
Trinity Center 3190’
Lake Tahoe 7500’
Lee Vining 7602’
Big Bear City 7952’
Mammoth Yosemite 8007’
- Where are these airport attractions?
1. San Carlos Hiller Aviation Museum
2. King City Sean Tucker Aerobatic School
3. Nut Tree Vacaville Outlet Mall
4. Petaluma Airport Muse
5. Lee Vining Mono Lake
- How many public airports are there in California where the runway is BELOW sea-level?
6: Furnace Creek -210’, Calipatra -182’, Brawley -128’, Jacqueline Cochran -115’, Salton Sea -84’, Imperial -54’
- Tower tells you that you’re Cleared for the option. What have they given you permission to do?
Land on the specified runway
Make a stop and go landing
Make a touch and go landing
Make a low pass over the airport
- Match up the airport names
1. Little River
2. Lone Pine
3. Long Beach
4. Lost Hills
5. Red Bluff
6. Round Valley
- Which is the odd one out?
Spaceport America Airport, Truth or Consequences, NM is the only one that is actually a spaceport, purpose built for commercial space operations.
News: The Winners of the Holiday QuizDec 27 2011
It was not easy, was it? Indeed some questions were positively fiendish.
Nobody managed a perfect 100% score but even so, several people got close. Here are the results:
1st place with 98%: Rick VanderKam
2nd (joint) place: Aaron Lepold and Dejan Vucinic with 94% each
3rd (joint) place: Heather Paunet (89.5%), Andy Werback (88%) and Scott Thomas (87%)
Why so many winners? Some of the questions were set up poorly and folks did not get credited by the software. For example, the alcohol concentration question did not accept “.04” as a valid answer. So when we found good answers that a “normal” human would accept, we adjusted the score.
But at the same time, we did not want to eliminate the people who would otherwise have been in the prizes, so we are giving away extra t-shirts.
The highest of the instructors was Sergey Sinyachkin who scored 89%. Pretty good, especially as he was in frozen Russia at the time. Maybe if we add an incentive for our CFIs more would attempt next time?
Well done everyone, and we will post the answers soon.
CFI Godfrey Watson joins AeroDynamicDec 24 2011
A warm welcome to Godfrey Watson who is joining us as an instructor. Godfrey has been flying taildraggers for many years and was one of the very few people Amelia Reid would let fly even if they missed their 30 day tailwheel currency.
Godfrey has airplane single and multi engine land and sea on his Commercial Pilot license and he is a Certified Flight Instructor, Instrument Instructor, Advanced Ground Instructor and Instrument Ground Instructor.
We are delighted that Godfrey has joined us!
New Taildragger Pilot: Jumpei TaniDec 24 2011
Congratulations to Jumpei Tani who earned his tailwheel endorsement with AeroDynamic CFI Rich Digrazzi.
Jumpei is already a Commercial Pilot in Single and Multi engine airplanes, and his next goal is to get an Airbus 320 type rating.
Going Solo: Tyler NielandDec 17 2011
A new fledgling has fled the nest! Congratulations to Tyler Nieland who sucessfully completed three solo takeoffs and landing in Citabria 5032G under AeroDynamic Instructor Jim Grant’s watchful gaze.
Well done Tyler and Jim.
New taildragger: Steve HustonDec 11 2011
We have a new tailwheel pilot, Steve Huston. Steve flew with AeroDynamic instructor Jim Grant and earned his tailwheel endorsement in Citabria 1806G.
Well done Steve and Jim.
New Pilot: Maggie Gales passes Private Pilot checkride!Dec 09 2011
Maggie Gales passes Private Pilot checkride with Examiner Sherry Diamond in Citabria 5032G. Congratulations Maggie!! And to her CFI Mark Guerrero. Don’t eat the whole cake all at once!
News: Avionics Upgrade for Cessna 616SF (C172RG)Dec 07 2011
Everyone who has flown 616SF will be delighted to hear that we have started a comprehensive avionics upgrade.
The upgrade includes:
Garmin GTN 650 touch screen WAAS IFR GPS/NAV/COM/ILS
King KX155 digital flip flop NAV/COM
PS Engineering intercom
Trig TT21 Mode S transponder with TIS traffic
JPI EDM700 4 cylinder engine monitor
What is the GTN 650?
It is Garmin’s replacement for the GNS430W. No more twiddling knobs, everything is accessed from the touch screen! Full WAAS capability including LPV and GPS approaches as well as all the usual ILS/VOR and communications capabilities. So instrument students and instrument rated pilots will not be limited to airports that have an ILS or VOR approach, but virtually any local airport will be open to them.
For example, Salinas has a GPS approach to runway 13 with minimums of 455′ agl and an LPV approach to 31 with a DA of 200′ agl, Hollister has an LPV approach with minimums of just 323′ agl, Reid Hillview LPV 31R minimums are only 379′ AGL)
Of course, VFR pilots can use it too.
There will be a learning curve, so I suggest you start preparing now:
Here’s a link to the Garmin manuals download page.
Here’s a link to Garmin’s training center videos.
There’s also a simulator for your PC downloadable from Garmin.
As for the Trig transponder, check out the Trig Web Page
The JPI Instruments documentation download Web page is here.
We have added Garmin GTN 650 and Trig TT21 manual links to our Useful Documents web page. Take a look.
So the good old plane is getting some great new avionics. I hope you’ll like what you see and fly her a lot!
News: Customer Appreciation Holiday QuizDec 05 2011
We are trying something new!
On our Web site, you’ll find our Customer Appreciation Quiz. Real questions which will challenge, educate and amuse you. And real prizes – a $100 gift card for Harris Ranch Restaurant Inn and Shop, “The Proficient Pilot” boxed set of three books by Barry Schiff, and three AeroDynamic T-shirts.
Who can try the quiz? Anyone, but not everyone can win.
Who can win? Any customer who has flown with us during 2011.
Who cannot win? Staff and families of AeroDynamic Aviation, or anyone who has not flown with us in 2011. But of course you can still try the quiz and maybe win bragging rights for your erudition.
Other rules are on the Quiz Web page. Quiz closes midnight PST on Dec 25 and results will be announced on Dec 27.