Private Pilot Ground School
January 27, 2024
Instrument Ground School
January 7, 2024
Call our office at (408) 320-9614 to enroll
We offer a new style of Ground School – one designed to prepare you for the knowledge and judgment required to be a safe, competent pilot capable of making informed decisions. Our class differs from others in that our focus is more on the knowledge to pass the checkride (the final flight test), rather than just pass the written test. Each class will go in depth on Tasks in the Airman Certification Standards (ACS), which are the standards you must meet or exceed during the final examination (checkride) to earn your pilot license. This course will develop your understanding of what to study, teach you the expectations of knowledge, skill and judgment to become a private or sport pilot, and prepare you for the oral portion of the checkride.
This class is a cost-saving alternative to much of the ground instruction you will need with your instructor. It is also a great way to meet other students and develop friendships with people of all ages going through the same experience you are. We recommend attending class as you begin flight training or concurrently if you’ve already begun flying. Class will be taught by our flight instructors, all of whom are actively teaching both flight & ground training with us.
These courses are strongly encouraged if you or someone you know will be obtaining either a Private/Sport Pilot Certificate or an Instrument Rating.
Private/Sport Practical Test Ground School – $330
Class will be from 9 am to 12 pm beginning on Saturday, January 27, 2024. This session will last 10 weeks. Please sign up through our San Jose office. The course will cost $330 total or $40 per class for drop-in attendance.
This session is taught by Stage Check Instructor Graham Harbman, a former Navy pilot.
Private/Sport Class Schedule
- Class 1: Introduction to pilot training, pilot qualifications, how to use FAA and other resources
- Class 2: Aircraft systems, equipment malfunction, and emergency operations
- Class 3: Performance, limitations, and weight & balance
- Class 4: Airworthiness requirements, FAA regulations, and NTSB
- Class 5: Aerodynamics, spin awareness, human factors, aeronautical decision making, and aeromedical factors
- Week 6: Airspace, ATC Communication, and collision & wake turbulence avoidance
- Class 7: Weather theory
- Class 8: Weather resources and application to local training and cross-country flight planning
- Class 9: Cross-country flight planning, pilotage, dead reckoning, and night operations
- Class 10: Navigation systems, radar services & final review
Cost is for the entire course, books and materials not included, or you may take individual classes for $40 per session. You can join the class at any point and continue through the next session, or simply drop in for sessions that interest you. To get the most out of the class, some homework and studying is required.
Please call or email the front desk to sign up for either in-person or virtual class at (408) 320-9614 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrument Rating Ground School – $330
Join our Winter 2024 session of Instrument Rating Ground School with Gold Seal CFII Thao Do. Class will be held at our Reid-Hillview location in San Jose, CA, or online via Google Meet. Contact our office to enroll in this 10-week instrument rating prep class.
Ready to schedule a flight? Have a question? Give us a call!
Monterey (831) 373-8320
You can also reach us via email with our Contact Form